SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 26, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – Ambarella, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMBA), a silicon vision AI company, Lumentum (NASDAQ: LITE), a leading designer and manufacturer of optical solutions and innovative photonic products and ON Semiconductor® (NASDAQ: ON), a leading provider of CMOS image sensor solutions, today announced two new joint benchmark designs that accelerate the deployment of AIoT devices in verticals, building on the The company’s previous joint solution for contactless access systems. By combining data from Lumentum’s high-performance VCSEL illuminators and an ON Semiconductor image sensor using Ambarella’s AI SoC, higher levels of accuracy and smarter decision-making can be achieved in AIoT devices from new generation for biometric access control, 3D electronic locks and other intelligent sensing applications.
Originally intended for biometric access control and electronic locks, these new benchmark designs can also meet the needs of smart cities, smart buildings, smart homes and smart healthcare. Additionally, the high level of integration provided by these joint solutions dramatically reduces system power consumption and thermal design requirements while enabling much smaller product form factors.
“Ambarella’s vision is to combine AI processing with 3D and visual sensing to create an ambient intelligent future,” said Fermi Wang, President and CEO of Ambarella. “This collaboration with Lumentum and ON Semiconductor will further advance the convergence of AI and IoT to enable a new generation of access control systems, while inspiring new categories of ambient sensing products, all powered by the fusion of sensors using AI vision processors that interact intelligently. and quietly with people to meet their evolving needs. “
“Our new joint solutions will dramatically increase the accuracy of AIoT devices in application verticals – starting with biometric access control and electronic locks – allowing them to recognize people and predict their needs, rather than requiring a direct human interface, ”said Téa Williams, Senior Vice President and General Manager, 3D Sensing of Lumentum. “Many of these applications will take advantage of 3D sensing to inject a new dimension of data entry for improved decision making. For example, the use of point lighting based on the higher resolution VCSEL allows longer detection ranges and more accurate facial recognition. Lumentum’s industry-leading high performance VCSEL arrays with no field failures used in these joint solutions are driving new applications and helping to realize the dream of AIoT devices with 3D sensing capabilities. “
“Image sensors are the eyes of smart detection devices. Their ability to see further in greater detail provides much more information for AI processor decision making in AIoT devices, ”said Gianluca Colli, vice president and general manager of the Industrial and Consumer Sensor Division (ICSD). ) at ON Semiconductor. “Our industry-leading RGB-IR sensor technology, combined with the advanced ISP capabilities of Ambarella’s AI vision SoCs, can simultaneously deliver visible and infrared images to devices. For this second generation of our joint solutions, we have leveraged customer feedback to quadruple the resolution of our RGB-IR image sensors to 4K (8MP). “
The new joint AIoT solutions of the three companies consist of two reference designs and additional 3D sensing development kits, each uniquely configured to meet application-specific demands for the combination of AI processing, 3D depth detection and vision detection:
- Intended for new generation biometric access control readers, the Vision + reference design is the AIoT industry’s first 4K solution to achieve single-camera 940nm structured light detection based on RGB-IR technology. It is also the first to operate a single-chip solution for deep processing, AI processing, and video processing. Based on Ambarella CV22 CVflow® An AI vision processor, it features single-camera structured light sensing powered by Lumentum’s VCSEL technology, with a range of 2 meters, and an ON Semiconductor 4K (8MP) RGB-IR CMOS image sensor.
- Intended for next-generation intelligent electronic door locks, or eLocks, for commercial and residential applications, the Saturn Reference Design is the first in the IAoT industry to integrate AI processing for single-camera structured light detection and fast-start video processing. It is based on the Ambarella CV25 CVflow AI vision processor and includes a structured light camera powered by Lumentum’s VCSEL technology and ON Semiconductor’s AR0237CS 2MP RGB-IR image sensor.
- Aimed at intelligent sensing applications and offering opportunities in verticals, Ambarella’s CVflow AI vision processor-based development kits from Ambarella’s CV2 series can now be equipped with ToF sensor adapters powered by VCSEL arrays from point of Lumentum. An optional 4K RGB-IR image sensor adapter is also available for these kits.
Ambarella’s open software development kit (SDK) for CVflow AI vision processors enables easy integration of third-party applications while allowing OEMs to meet different regional requirements with a single platform (for example, by using different AI algorithms in different regions). Additionally, this robust Linux-based SDK extends the capabilities of edge sensing devices, simplifies product development, and accelerates time to market through:
- Custom application development capabilities
- Support for different 3D modalities including structured light and ToF. Uniquely, a single Ambarella SoC provides 3D sensing processing without the need for a dedicated depth processor or separate host processor
- High AI inference capabilities on the camera to allow multiple neural networks (NNs) to operate simultaneously
- Robust artificial intelligence tools to support the development and migration of deep neural networks (DNN)
- Integrated ISP to handle challenging scenes including high dynamic range (HDR) and low light scenarios
- Integrated arm® processors to run client applications
- Built-in security hardware including Secure Boot, OTP for storing encryption keys and Arm TrustZone technology for secure encryption key comparisons
- Support for rich peripheral interface to simplify system design
These joint reference designs and development kits are expected to be available in June. For more information, contact Ambarella: https://www.ambarella.com/contact-us/.
In addition, the three companies will present these new joint solutions on June 2 during a live webinar hosted by Laser Focus World magazine.
Ambarella products are used in a wide variety of human and computer vision applications including video security, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), electronic mirrors, driving recorder, surveillance driver / cab, autonomous driving and robotic applications. Ambarella’s low-power-on-chip (SoC) systems deliver high-resolution video compression, advanced image processing, and powerful deep neural network processing to enable smart cameras to extract valuable data from video streams high resolution. For more information, please visit www.ambarella.com
Lumentum (NASDAQ: LITE) is a leading designer and manufacturer of innovative optical and photonic products enabling optical networking and laser applications around the world. Lumentum’s optical components and subsystems are part of virtually all types of telecommunications networks, businesses and data centers. Lumentum lasers enable advanced manufacturing techniques and a variety of applications, including next-generation 3D detection capabilities. Lumentum is headquartered in San Jose, California with R&D, manufacturing and sales offices around the world. For more information, visit www.lumentum.com.
About ON Semiconductor
ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ON) promotes energy-efficient electronics innovations that help make the world greener, safer, inclusive and connected. The company has become our customers’ supplier of choice for power, analog, sensor and connectivity solutions. Our premium products help engineers solve their most unique design challenges in automotive, industrial, cloud power, and Internet of Things (IoT) applications. ON Semiconductor manages a responsive and reliable supply chain and quality programs, as well as robust ESG programs. Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, the company has a global network of manufacturing facilities, sales and marketing offices, and engineering centers in its key markets.
All brand names, product names or trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Ambarella reserves the right to change product and service offerings, specifications and prices at any time without notice. © 2021 Ambarella. All rights reserved.
A graphic accompanying this announcement is available at https://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/1301d53b-3156-4903-8a5c-4f2c7f891e4b